MMO793 - Medieval or post-medieval barn southwest of Toll Gate Cottages (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
A possible deserted farm is recorded at Laneclose Plantation. A small group of banks and ditches with possible remains and trackway are visible. [1,2] It is not mentioned in Aston's list of deserted settlements.  The probable remains of a medieval or post-medieval barn, along with a field boundary ditch of uncertain date, but which may also be medieval or post-medieval, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Centred on SS 8651 4637, the site comprises a three sided earthwork ditch, about 80 metres NNE-SSW, 65 metres west to east and 20 metres south to north. About 180 metres northwest from the enclosure, near the source of a spring, two parallel linear structures, possibly courses of stonework, were visible in 1946 and 1947, the first being 19.8 metres by 1.5 metres, centred at SS 8663 4650 and the second, 11 metres to the SW, being 19 metres by 2.3 metres,centred at SS 8663 4651. The stonework may represent the remains of Park Barn, visible as ruins on the 1:2,500 scale 1st edition OS map. The latter two structures were no longer visible in aerial photographs taken in 1972 although the earhtwork boundary ditch was still visible in aerial photographs taken in 1979. [4-8]
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3028.
- <2> SSO248 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 87. 8620.
- <3> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 97-99.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3024-3025 11-JUL-1946.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3028 11-APR-1947.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8646/1/281 (SF1459) 01-MAR-1979.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 118-119 15-APR-1972.
- <8> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1886.
- <9> SMO7541 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130.
- <10> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8646.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8656 4644 (159m by 159m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127383 (Original Monarch entry: 1127383)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11575
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7976
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE37
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127383
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33972
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.