MSO7627 - Medieval field system on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 9401 4806. Pre-medieval field system can be traced on the ridgeway of North Hill and the Yardes.  On North Hill is an extensive field system stretching between the head of Grexy Combe in the west and the head of Burgundy Chapel Combe in the east. It covers some 24 hectares and comprises a system of regular fields defined by banks up to 0.7 metres high. Within some of the fields are areas of slight ridge and furrow some 3 to 4 metres in width. It is reasonable to assume that the field system is contemporary with and associated with the two deserted farmsteads in the area. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME's survey of the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [2,3] The field system referred to above [1-3] is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. The field system is centred at SS 9426 4794 and covers and area that measures 600 metres by 445 metres at its widest points. The fields are defined by banks measuring up to 2m in width. [4-7] System of irregular sub rectangular fields defined by banks. [8-11]
- <1> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 7.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 December 1997.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4006-4007 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-79013 164-165 (17 April 1979).
- <6> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9447/2/196-197 (SF1459) (3 May 1979).
- <7>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #39956 ]
- <8> SSO244 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 35. 8472.
- <9> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. 106G/UK/1655 4007 (July 1946).
- <10> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. OAP WAP 20203.
- <11> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9447H, SS9448A.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9428 4798 (901m by 625m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=866956 (Original Monarch entry: 866956)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167494 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167494)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO283
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12160
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW72
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167494
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 866956
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35063
Record last edited
Nov 25 2020 9:02AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.