MSO7575 - Bratton Court (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 94624631] Bratton Court Remains of a Manor House (NR)  Bratton Court is approached through a singularly perfect gatehouse, which is part of the original structure. It evidently consisted of a hall, a considerable part of the fine moulded roof of which still remains, which measured about 37 ft by 24 ft. Robert de Bracton had a chapel here in 1317 which was possibly erected in 1316.  Bratton Court, the remains of an old manor house of the 15th century. [3,4] See GP AO/62/146/1 for view of east wing, from the north. A good example of a small manor house, complete with gatehouse and barn.  Bratton Court, with gatehouse and buildings on courtyard, grade II*. 15th/16th century with later alterations (for full description see list).  Bratton Court, Bratton. Grade I. Manor House, now farmhouse divided into 2 dwellings, 14th century open hall, 15th century solar hall, ceiled and enlarged 17th century, extensively altered late 19th - early 20th century. Gatehouse and barn abutting west end at Bratton Court. Grade I. 15th century, altered 19th and 20th century. Barn and farmbuildings adjoining on north east side of old yard at Bratton Court (formerly listed at Outbuildings on south side at Bratton Court; and barn on east side at Bratton Court). Grade II*. Barn possibly 16th century, other buildings 19th century, Walls with farmbuildings enclosing 2 foldyards on north front of Gatehouse at Bratton Court. Grade II. 19th century (for full description see list).  Additional bibliography. [8-10] A remarkable survival of a 15th Century manor house. Of the hall, the position and the dimensions (37 by 25 feet by 28 feet high) are clear, and arched braces of the roof can still be seen. The chapel wing, at right angles to the hall at its high table end, still has several windows with and without transom and with a little tracery. They are all of oak. The chapel roof also has arched braces and in addition wind-braces. Of the king posts, one with its fourway struts has been reerected in the (new) dining room.  Bratton Court is possibly originally a Saxon farm and is recorded in Domesday as belonging to William de Moiane. Prior to the Conquest, it was held by Aluric.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Bratton Courty is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10560 / 1928-38.
- <2> SSO1235 Monograph: Hancock, F. 1903. History of Minehead. 42-45.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Messrs Hawkes and Andrew Agents.
- <4> SMO5307 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference . Rev ONB 1902 34.
- <5> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 5 October 1965.
- <6> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Williton RD Somerset (March 1962) 46-47.
- <7> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: West Somerset Dist (Carhampton et al) Somerset (5 June 1985) 45-46.
- <8> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 123 (1979), 40-7, 51-2 (EHD Williams and RG Gibson).
- <9> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 125 (1981), 104-5 (EHD Williams).
- <10> SMO5128 Serial: The Antiquaries journal : journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London no 1 (1921) - . Volume 61 (1981), 324 (NW Alcock and MW Barley).
- <11> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 91.
- <12> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 26.
- <13> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <14>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41251 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9460 4629 (31m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36793 (Original Monarch entry: 36793)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/2/82/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/2/82/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10595
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW12
- NBR Index Number: 41845
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36793
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31068
Record last edited
May 21 2021 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.