MEM22712 - Boundary walls north of Bratton Court Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Walls and farmbuildings. Mid C19. Red sandstone random rubble, decorative brick cornice, hipped clay tile roofs over canted corners, sprockets. Plan: walls enclosing 2 foldyards on north front of gatehouse range at Bratton Court (qv), canted corners flanking roadway to gatehouse, entrances to left and right with square gate piers and pyramid tops. North-east foldyard with shelter sheds north and east, steeply pitched catslide clay tiled roof over 2-storey, loft over byre abutting gatehouse, weather boarded west end. Farmbuildings in north-west foldyard removed, garage doors on east front. Primarily listed for group value.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265368. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  Stone, Random rubble walls.  The walls were visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 5A.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows that the walls originally did not have canted corners but these appear to have been constructed between this map and the 2nd Edition map, where they seem to be in place. [5,6]
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9461 4633 (60m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 444/2/85/1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31071
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.