MSO7399 - Bronze Age burial cairn northeast of Joaney How (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A cairn, at SS 9093 4287, measures 18 paces in diameter and 3.5 feet high (Luccombe 5).  The cairn is visible on aerial photographs.  This is a disturbed and overgrown cairn, 0.9 metres high. It is at SS9090 4286 and is listed by Grinsell as Luccombe No. 5.  It has been disturbed and is overgrown with heather, but it is in a good condition.  The cairn is marked on the 1974 Ordnance Survey map.  The cairn is included in the revised scheduling on 23 April 2003.  A large cairn lies on the north slope of Dunkery Hill, on the edge of a natural terrace in a false crest position at SS 90901 42873. It comprises a stony, heather covered mound, 18 metres in diameter and 1.1 metres high. A hollow lies to the southwest of the centre; much of the southwest quadrant is disturbed. The cairn was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project. [7,8] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P.25,35. Visited by Grinsell 8 July 1961.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3234-5 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 15 June 1965. Surveyed at 1:2500..
- <4> SSO311 Unassigned: July 1976. National Trust Record Form.
- <5> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000.
- <6> SSO1116 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Letter from English Heritage to Somerset County Council. 13 May 2003.
- <7> SSO1864 Survey: RCHME. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 94 SW 6. 1997.
- <8> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 March 1997.
- <9> SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186.
- <10> SMO1521 Photograph: CAIRN AT LUCCOMBE FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F140/4. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9090 4287 (16m by 17m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36972 (Pastscape entry: 36972)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO232
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11309
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36972
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33664
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 2:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.