MSO6921 - Post-medieval sheepfold on Great Woolcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post medieval sheepfold is visible on Great Woolcombe, centred at approximately SS 7771 3756. It measures 41.5m square defined by an earthern bank 0.9m high topped by a grown-out beech hedge. There is also a broad external ditch 4m wide and 0.3m deep. A single entrance 2.3m wide is visible on the western end of the southern side of the enclosure. Elsewhere are modern breaks in the bank caused by animal erosion. A short length of bank runs from the southern side of the sheepfold near the entrance as far as the nearby stream, and was probably to control stock. The sheepfold was constructed by Frederic Knight in the mid 19th century as part of his land improvement measures on Exmoor. [1-4] A square enclosure is seen marked on the 1:2500 and 1:10560 Ordnance Survey maps. The edges of this feature are tree lined. [5,6] This structure is thought likely to have been related to sheep rearing operations undertaken by the Knight family in the 19th Century.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/76087 615-16 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 120.
- <4> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <5> SEM340796 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 25 inch Ordnance Survey map. 1:2,500. Somerset SS7737.
- <6> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. Somerset SS73NE.
- <7> SSO1077 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H. March 1980. Eardley-Wilmot, H to Somerset County Council. 4 March 1980.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1099609, Extant 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7770 3755 (62m by 71m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099609 (Original monarch entry: 1099609)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO603
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10990
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE26
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1099609
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33129
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 3:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.