MSO6712 - Stone (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 86543879) Stone (NAT).  Stone (formerly listed as Stone Farmhouse) 6.4.59 - II* House.The house is mid to late 18th century in date. The date of 1678 on the rear elevation has been reset from another building. The building is shown as country house on Day and Musters map of Somerset 1782, it belonged to Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, the last Warden of Exmoor Forest whose Crown Lease expired in 1814.  At SS 8662 3873 in the grounds to the southeast of Stone are a number of tree clumps set on low planting mounds; no further investigation was carried out.  The site was visited in February 1997 as part of the Exmoor Farmsteads survey. The house was noted to be "an extraordinary apparition, a Palladian Villa of perhaps 1740s…[with] a symmetrical front block (façade with 6 Palladian windows)."  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The farmstead is discussed by Hamilton. 
- <1> SSO1428 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1979. 1:10,000. 1:10,000.
- <2> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 September 1997.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 228.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 22.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8654 3879 (24m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35735 (Original Monarch entry: 35735)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/13/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10634
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE21
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35735
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31120
Record last edited
Jul 31 2019 3:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.