SS83NE EXFORD CP -
13/1 Stone (formerly listed as Stone Farmhouse) 6.4.59
House. Mid-late C18, sash windows renewed C20. Roughcast over rubble, ashlar faced central canted bay, ashlar quoins, string course, hipped slate roof with modillion cornice, rendered stacks flanking pyramid roof to central bay. Plan: 2-cell with axial hall, service wing at rear. Two storeys and attic to central canted bay, 1:1:1 bays, lunettes in attic, Venetian windows flanking arched head casement centre, windows blocked on first floor returns of canted bay, ground floor sash windows flanking moulded surround with key stone and imposts to fanlight and 8-panel double doors. Date of 1678 on rear elevation reset from another building. Interior only partially seen; stairs rebuilt C20, good carved C18 chimney piece right. Shown as country house on Day and Musters map of Somerset 1782, it belonged to Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, the last Warden of Exmoor Forest whose Crown Lease expired in 1814.
Listing NGR: SS8654838795