MSO11558 - The Watermill, Hawkcombe, Porlock (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
"Mill, disused" printed on OS 25" map.  "Mill pond" printed on OSAD 6" map.  Was a corn mill until 1900 when the last miller (Mr. Stenner) died. In 1909 it was bought by the Porlock Electricity Supply Company. Powered a dynamo in conjunction with the mill in Porlock. Supply was by bare copper wire to which houses clipped on. An additional floor was added to house a bank of batteries, a new wheel and gearing to work generator. Wheel repaired and made to work in 1969 by Mr O Huish. Original wheel was made by Mr W Huish of Porlock and was 14ft diameter and 3ft wide with 30 "L" buckets. Mill taken over by Exe Valley Electricity Company (Whitehall Securities) in 1929. [3,4] In a wooded setting, the two-storey Water Mill buildings with restored overshot wooden wheel date from the 19th to early 20th century. Built of stone rubble throughout, the later wing has lowered dormers, and timber casement windows with narrow glazing bars. [5,7] Electricity [in Porlock] came in 1911. The Porlock Electric Company was formed and electricity was produced by the water mill in Hawkcombe. It was the Rector's mill as it was in the Rectorial Manor.  Building (presumably the mill) and leat shown on Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 25" map  and Porlock Tithe Map .
- <1> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 34(5).
- <2> SSO1601 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS24NE.
- <3> SSO1983 Unassigned: Warren, D. 02.12.77. Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society.
- <4> SEM7691 Report: Instone, E.. 1995. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports: The Iron Mining Industry.
- <5> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p21.
- <6> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p81, 93.
- <7> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 50, 78.
- <8> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8856 4623 (13m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127372 (Original Monarch entry: 1127372)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11525
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7967
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7971
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE32
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127372
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33955
Record last edited
Oct 12 2016 11:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.