MSO11283 - Late prehistoric or Romano-British field system at Wellshead Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Field banks and ridge and furrow seen on aerial photographs and plotted on Somerset SMR map.  May be associated with prehistoric earthworks to the west (MSO6735). N.B. The reference cited by Somerset HER refers to a site to the northeast suggested to date to the medieval period. [2,3] The area is one of improved pasture, and a cursory investigation suggests that the features have been flattened by agricultural improvement.  A field system of possible later prehistoric or Romano British date with evidence for associated settlement can be seen on aerial photographs as cropmarks centred on circa SS 8380 4154, on Wellshead Allotments. The visible evidence indicates a rectilinear field system covering an area of at least of 11 hectares, possibly coaxial in organisation, aligned roughly northeast to southwest. Two circular features at circa SS 8370 4149 and SS 8375 4148, both roughly 13 metres in diameter, may be the remains of hut circles, possibly indicating the presence of an unenclosed settlement in this area. A slightly larger circular feature some 50 metres to the north may be a third hut circle associated with this field system. [5-7]
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. Somerset SMR map: 6 inch, SS84SW.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 7 February 1984.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 4 March 2020.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 November 1995.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 76048 033 (25 July 1976).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL 77013 104-105 (20 May 1977).
- <7>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #34276 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8381 4151 (349m by 568m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974900 (Pastscape entry: 974900)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO420
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6785
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW71
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974900
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33625
Record last edited
Mar 4 2020 1:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.