MSO10849 - Woodlands (or Woodside), Jury Road, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Woodlands was a farmhouse, and is now a dwelling. It probably dates to the 16th century, and was extensively altered in the mid 19th century and mid - late 20th century. Its planis three cell and cross passage facing south, with a lean-to addition on the west gable end and outshot in the northwest corner. Due to its alterations it is primarily listed for group value with Wood Tenement to the east, because of the picturesque grouping of tall stone stacks and other projections on the road frontage.  Woodside is a colour-washed cottage with tall exterior chimneys abutting the road.  This is one of the oldest thatched buildings in Dulverton.  The building was visited in February 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986.
- <2> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. p52, 53, Photo.
- <3> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. p7.
- <4> SEM7072 Report: Green, T., Humphreys, C. + Waterhouse, R.. Woodliving, Dulverton, Somerset: Results of an Archaeological Building Survey and Desk-Based Study. p6, 8.
- <5> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p5, 8, 16, Photo.
- <6> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. p19.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9161 2792 (23m by 21m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/15/78
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31410
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 9:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.