MSO10847 - 1 and 2, Bilbower House, High Street, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Numbers 1 and 2 Bilbower House, High Street, Dulverton is a pair of late 18th - early 19th century houses in row. The right hand house was partly rebuilt in the late 19th century.  This building is marked as 'Bilbba House' on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map.  'Bilboa House' was a doctor's residence.  In 1739, a fire engine and 12 buckets were purchased, and are believed to have been housed behind Bilbao House.  Bilbower, originally Bilboa, was a doctor's premises for most of the 19th century.  The buildings were visited in February 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. p49.
- <4> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p15.
- <5> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. p93, 149.
- <6> SEM7541 Monograph: Siraut, M.. 2009. Exmoor: The Making of an English Upland. Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1st Edition. p97, Photograph.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9146 2790 (20m by 25m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/15/76/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/15/76/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31408
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 4:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.