MSO10839 - Forge Cottage, Bridge Street, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- HOUSE (AD 17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- WHEELWRIGHTS WORKSHOP (AD 17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (AD 17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- SHOP (AD 17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
Forge Cottage is a semi detached cottage, and now a shop. It is possibly 17th century, and enlarged to the east in the late 18th - early 19th century. Its plan is two cell, enlarged with the addition of a storeroom.  Forge Cottage is thatched and possibly 17th century. It is predominantly rendered over rubble. The thatched porch reaches almost to the eaves.  Forge Cottage was a smithy and wheelwright's from the time it was built.  The building was visited in February 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO59 Index: 4/8/1986. 36th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.. 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986.
- <2> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.7.
- <3> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p14, 15, Photo.
- <4> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.15, 27, 31, 32, Photograph.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9126 2780 (12m by 12m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/15/68
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31399
Record last edited
Aug 13 2018 9:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.