MSO10838 - The Boot, Bridge Street, Dulverton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The Boot is a semi detached cottage, with late 19th Century refronting of an earlier dwelling. The plan is three cell and cross passage, and abutting the property to the right. There is evidence that until recently a sign board was displayed above the entrance.  The building is named 'Boot Inn'.  The Boot has a late 19th Century tile hung and quarry tile frontage, added to an earlier, 17th Century cottage. It is still thatched.  The Boot Inn was still doing business in the 1920s.  The building was visited in February 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A rectangular house is shown on the Tithe Map for Dulverton at SS 9126 2782, with an extension to the rear and a garden to the front. It is labelled 2015, which the Apportionment describes as "Boot Inn", owned and occupied by William Oxenham.  The building is depicted but not labelled on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The garden at the front of the property is still shown at this point.  Since this map was surveyed, the front garden has been removed.  The Boot Inn was photographed in 1900, 1904 and the 1950s. In the earlier two images, the garden was still present and the building had a simple arched door hood, with the front elevation apparently being rendered. The photograph taken in the 1950s, however, shows the first elevation of the property being tile hung, with a tiled porch canopy and only two small walls to either side of the main doorway; the garden had been completely removed. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 36th List, District of West Somerset. 04/08/1986.
- <2> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.36, Photograph.
- <3> SEM6958 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. c.2003. Dulverton Conservation Area Appraisal. p14, 15, Photograph.
- <4> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.15, 42.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 2015.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <9> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 36.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9126 2782 (11m by 10m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/15/67
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31398
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 2:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.