Listed Building: MARSH BRIDGE AT NGR SS 9069 2895
1648, 9, 56
04 August 1986
Date last amended
09 March 2017
SS92NW DULVERTON CP 9/56 Marsh Bridge at NGR SS 9069 2895 - II
Road bridge over River Barle. Probably C18, repaired 1818-9, altered 1866-7 when central pier removed and iron bridge inserted, parapet destroyed 1952, reconstructed in steel 1979-80. Early C19 repairs by John Stone, mid C19 alterations by County Surveyor, Arthur Whitehead, iron work by Hennet and Spink of Bridgewater. Flat bedded local stone, rubble voussoirs and steel.
Plan: semi-circular head arched outer bays, centre spanned by steel bridge resting on pointed cutwater piers. Latticework steel parapet, pyramid topped lattice work piers flanking centre span, recurring cross pattee motif.
The original use of cast iron was suggested in 1851 by the preceeding County Surveyor Richard Carver. A chapel of ease was erected in the mid C19 on the north bank beside the bridge by John Locke of Northmoor (not included), which burnt down 1908.
(Greenfield, Exmoor Review, 1980; Photograph in NMR; Buchanan, Batsford Guide to the Archaeology of Central and Southern England, 1980).
Listing NGR: SS9070128957