MSO10819 - Shircombe Farmhouse, Hownel Lane, Brompton Regis (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Circa 1840. Roughcast over flat bedded rubble, slate roof, overhanging eaves with sprockets on facade, shortened at rear, decorative ridge tiles with a few plain tile replacements, brick stacks gable ends and between first and second bays left. Plan: 3-cell and cross passage. Two storeys, 4 bays, 16-pane sash windows, gabled porch with 4-centered arch head opening, ribbed early C20 door inserted. It is believed that an earlier farmhouse stood to the north-west and was largely destroyed in a fire.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265620. First Listed on 04/08/1986.  Cross passage plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Gabled roof  The farmstead was visited in April 1997. The house was described as large and long-shaped with renewed hornless sash windows, possibly with a three room plan.  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5.  The farmhouse does not appear on the Kings Brompton Tithe Map and must therefore have been constructed after this was surveyed.  The farmhouse was subject to survey in 2014 and 2015. It was suggested that the house was a largely mid 19th Century rebuild and enlargement of a 17th Century three cell cross passage house with a lateral stack, with the axial stack at the western end of the building being an 18th Century addition. The farmhouse was noted to retain a fairly complete survival of the 19th Century decorative schema of the building, of a relatively simple style. The overall impression is of compromises being made within the layout and architectural details of the building, with the focus being upon the scale of the building as a statement of wealth and status. [7,8]
- <1> SSO59 Index: 4/8/1986. 36th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park..
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 445.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <7> SEM8407 Report: Wapshott, E. and Walls, S.. 2014. Shircombe Farmhouse, Brompton Regis, Somerset: Results of a desk based appraisal, historic roof assessment & archaeological monitoring.
- <8> SEM8406 Report: Wapshott, E., Walls, S. and Hosegood, V.. 2015. Shircombe Farmhouse, Brompton Regis, Somerset: Results of a desk based appraisal & historic building assessment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9355 3164 (24m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1648/3/32
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31354
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.