MEM22875 - Shircombe Farm, Brompton Regis (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead appears on the Tithe Map for Kings Brompton (now Brompton Regis).  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the farmstead in a different configuration; it is not clear whether any of the original buildings are still extant. The modern farmhouse had been constructed by the time this map had been surveyed, as had many of the barns and outhouses.  The 2nd Edition map shows the farmstead layout to be identical as the previous map edition.  The farmstead was visited in April 1997. The house was described as large and long-shaped with renewed hornless sash windows, possibly with a three room plan. The yard was also described as long-shaped, running west from the gable end of the house. A small rubble outbuilding was much altered to form a studio 30 years ago. Other rubble buildings are described as "pretty simple", with piggeries to the north and a shippon opposite. The end of the yard was closed off by a barn with a wheel pit at the back (west). An ash house was also noted.  An occupier of the farmstead previously informed the ENPA archaeologist on a site visit that the studio building was occupied by the artist Laurence Whistler shortly after the Second World War.  A survey of the East Barn in 2014 concluded that it was of mid-19th century origin, probably formerly a bank barn with cow shed below and store over. The first floor of the barn was converted to residential use in the mid 20th century, possibly an artisits studio, but no connection with Laurence Whistler was identified. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 445.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R Wilson-North, 5 September 2014.
- <6> SEM8198 Report: Wapshott, E., Hosegood, V.. 2015. The East Barn, Shircombe Farm, Brompton Regis, Exmoor, Somerset.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9351 3166 (118m by 95m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Feb 17 2016 2:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.