MSO10772 - Barn and round house at West Lynch Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Barn and horse engine house, now museum and shop. Barn C18 possibly earlier, altered late C20; horse engine house late C18-early C19, altered late C20. Local stone random rubble, thatched roofs, half hipped to barn, double Roman tiled roof addition on north-east side. Plan: barn of 8 bays, horse engine house attached south-west side, lean-to addition north-east, double doors at northern end with projecting porches. Scissor truss roof to barn, horse engine house reroofed late C20.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265554. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  Stone, Random rubble walls. Half-hipped, Gabled roof  The 2003 Conservation Area appraisal for Bossington and West Lynch describes the buildings as "a thatched threshing barn, 18th century, possibly earlier with scissor-trussed roof; and an adjoining round house (late 18th – early 19th century) which would have contained a horse driven engine."  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A structure is visible on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe map at this location.  The buildings are depicted on the 2020 MasterMap data and are part of the group labelled "West Lynch Farm". 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p13.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39084 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 900 476 (22m by 22m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524339 (Original Monarch entry: 524339)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524340 (Original Monarch entry: 524339)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/23/140/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/23/140/2
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 44345
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524337
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524339
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524340
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524341
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524342
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524343
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31270
Record last edited
Jan 7 2021 10:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.