MSO10770 - Malthouse and traction engine house, West Lynch (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Malthouse and traction engine house, now disused. Early-mid C19. Random rubble and pebbles, brick dressings, steeply pitched slate roofs, pyramid to malthouse with circular vent at apex, catslide roof over central bay of traction engine house. Plan: part of range of buildings running up hillside, square malthouse set above hexagonal traction engine house to north. East front: 2 storeys, canted facade of engine house, central first floor doorway reached by lateral flight of external stone steps, door below, small glazed openings right below eaves and on ground floor, 2 windows left gable end; right abuts malthouse, 2-light window below eaves, glazed opening to left of cambered head doorway. Interior not seen. Part of Clarke's Mill complex begun late C18 and enlarged early C19.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265551. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  Square plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped roof  The buildings are referred to in the 2003 Conservation Area appraisal for Bossington and West Lynch, which states "At the lower end of the associated outbuildings [of West Lynch House] is a former malt-house and traction engine house, probably dating from the early 19th century (they are shown on the 1841 Tithe Map). Built of stone rubble with brick dressings, the former has a steeply pitched pyramid roof with circular vent at the apex. The square malt-house is set above the hexagonal traction house adjoining, and there is an adjoining external flight of stone steps."  The buildings were visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The building is labelled "The Maltings" on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p13.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39087 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9010 4764 (13m by 18m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/23/137/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/23/137/2
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31267
Record last edited
Jan 5 2021 4:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.