MSO10710 - Linhay east of Bossington Farm Cottages, Bossington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A linhay of 18th to 19th Century date. This is made of red sandstone random rubble,with a thatched roof half hipped to the right. The building has two storeys, 6 bays; circular piers rendered, inserted random rubble wall between second and third bays, weather boarded end bay right.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265491. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  6-bay plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Half-hipped, Gabled roof  The linhay was mentioned in the 2003 conservation area appraisal for Bossington and West Lynch.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This structure is visible on the 1841 Porlock Tithe map. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p11.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 897 480 (17m by 15m) (MasterMap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA136717 (National Trust HER entry: MNA136717)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/77
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA136717
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31206
Record last edited
Jan 29 2021 3:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.