MSO10693 - Beach Cottage, Porlock Weir (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The cottage is 17th Century in date but the walls were raised and the building reroofed in the 18th Century. The construction is rendered over random rubble with a thatched roof. The building is 3 cell with a cross passage and two storeys. The building has a 17th Century framed door. The interior was not seen but probably contains features of interest.  Beach Cottage is of 17th Century origin, though it is thought the walls were raised and the roof reconstructed a century later. The thatched roof is half-hipped and hipped at either end with a large shouldered front lateral stack adjoining the entrance. The typical plan is three-cell with cross-passage and a rear outshut. The four-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window and heavy four-centred arch head and chamfered door-frame are almost certainly original.  It appears that the render mentioned in the listing description has been removed since the 2004 conservation area character appraisal (noted 2012).  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This structure appears to be present on the 1841 Porlock Tithe map.  An undated engraving of a gaff rigged vessel with counter stern is cut into a flag stone in the doorway of the cottage. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM6949 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Porlock Weir: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p8, 11.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <6> SEM6734 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2003. Porlock Bay and Marsh: Record of Archaeological Monitoring 2002-2003. Cover image and frontispiece.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8654 4779 (19m by 21m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/60
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31187
Record last edited
Feb 23 2021 10:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.