MSO10676 - Ashley Combe Lodge, Ashley Combe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Lodge to Ashley Combe (demolished) and toll house. Late C19. Possibly by Lady Lovelace. Red sandstone random rubble, brick dressings, hipped thatched roof, roughcast stacks left gable end and between second and third bays left.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265456. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  3-cell plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped roof  The building is not shown on the 1841 Porlock Tithe Map.  The late 19th Century 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts and labels the lodge at SS 8577 4816. An Ordnance Survey bench mark is shown on its western elevation.  The Lodge and bench mark is again shown on the 1903 25 inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Aerial photographs taken in 2008 show that the building had been extended to the north by this time.  The building is again shown on the 2022 MasterMap data. The bench mark is also indicated.  The lodge (SS 8582 4820) consists of a cottage and a block which spans the road and includes many details which echo those in the ruined house and garden structures.  The building is mentioned in the 2004 Conservation Area Appraisal.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  A drawing of the lodge dating to the late 19th or early 20th Century is held in the Historic England Archive. It was drawn before the building was extended.  An undated postcard also shows the building before it was extended. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. c.1889-1890.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <7> SEM7560 Aerial photograph: Geoinformation. 2008. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <8> SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <9> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1999.
- <10> SEM6949 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Porlock Weir: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p8, 11.
- <11> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <12> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1127301, Extant 17 March 2022.
- <13> SEM341036 Artwork: Harper, C.G.. 1892-1933. Ashley Combe Lodge, seen from the east. Drawing.
- <14> SEM341037 Photograph: Unknown. Unknown. Ashley Lodge. B/W. Postcard.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8582 4819 (12m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127301 (Original Monarch entry: 1127301 (Ashley Combe House))
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/43
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10282
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1127301
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18068
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31169
Record last edited
Mar 17 2022 10:41AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.