MSO10535 - Stables and barn, Leigh Barton Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Stables and cow stalls with loft over, now disused. Probably C18. Partially rendered over red sandstone rubble, half hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, unglazed 2-light mullioned opening with shutters, first floor one centre, groundfloor 2 flanking doorway with oval unglazed opening above and plank door end bay right giving access to loft. Loft opening first floor right return. Main interest of the building is the substantial collar beam king post roof, subsequently reinforced with attached principals, approximately 8 bays. In poor condition at time of survey (January 1984).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264875. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  Stone, Render walls. King post, Half-hipped roof  The buildings were visited as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 4A. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SSO695 Report: Vernacular Architecture Group. April 1973. Vernacular Architecture Group Report.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13. Visited by N Pratt.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0250 3587 (23m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188394 (Original Monarch entry: 188394)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/4/117/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/4/117/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7797
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188394
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30816
Record last edited
May 27 2014 11:05AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.