MMO3179 - Medieval and post-medieval routeways around Upper Willingford Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Numerous packhorse roads or hollow ways can be seen as earthworks on aerial photographs, focusing on the confluence of Danes Brook and Litton Water at circa SS 8156 3257. The dense and extensive eroded footpaths indicate that this point has been the focus of communications and transport for a considerable time, potentially unbroken from the medieval period. It may also be significant that this point is the confluence of three parishes, Withypool and Hawkridge, Molland and the parish of Exmoor, formerly the Royal Forest of Exmoor. It is possible that movement of livestock was restricted within the environs of the Royal Forest. Elements of these routes on the northern edge of Molland Common have remained in use and have been depicted on Ordnance Survey maps from the first edition of 1890. [1-4] SS 81589 32796. Several hollow ways lie in the southwestern corner of Halscombe Allotment. A typical example is 4.4 metres wide, up to 1.5 metres deep and 250 metres long. They are part of an area of hollow ways which converge to cross the Dane's Brook north of Upper Willingford Corner. These are the remains of routes giving access to the main areas of summer grazing in the former Royal Forest and may well date from the early medieval period. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4251-2 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 424-5 (16 August 1972).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <4> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
- <5> SEM8544 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Halscombe Allotments, Humber's Ball, Hawkridge Plain & Old Barrow Down, Withypool & Hawkridge, Exmoor. HWH17004, p5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8158 3253 (651m by 1359m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1491956 (Pastscape entry: 1491956)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17004
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW101
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1491956
Record last edited
May 14 2018 9:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.