MMO3022 - Possible post-medieval building platform at Ashott Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible building platform can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs of 1952 as a subrectangular platform to the west of the main farm buildings at Ashott Barton, centred on circa SS 8168 3889. The feature measures circa 10 by 12 metres in size and is located in an area depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as an orchard, adjacent to a fence or field boundary. It is possible that it is non archaeological in origin, the impression of regularity perhaps created by vegetation and footpaths crossing the area. [1-3] The feature is not depicted on the Exford Tithe Map. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4084-6 (3 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
- <4> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8168 3889 (17m by 20m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488424 (Pastscape entry: 1488424)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW121
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1488424
Record last edited
Dec 12 2016 12:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.