MMO3022 - Possible post-medieval building platform at Ashott Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible building platform can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs of 1952 as a subrectangular platform to the west of the main farm buildings at Ashott Barton, centred on circa SS 8168 3889. The feature measures circa 10 by 12 metres in size and is located in an area depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as an orchard, adjacent to a fence or field boundary. It is possible that it is non archaeological in origin, the impression of regularity perhaps created by vegetation and footpaths crossing the area. [1-3] The feature is not depicted on the Exford Tithe Map.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4084-6 (3 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #43352 ]
- <4> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488424, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8168 3889 (17m by 20m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488424 (Pastscape entry: 1488424)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW121
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488424
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 9:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.