MEM23749 - Ashott Barton, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Exford at SS 8173 3889 and labelled "Ashott". It consists of a farmhouse at SS81713889, with a Z shaped group of buildings at SS 8173 3890 and further buildings at SS 8176 3893, SS 8175 3889, SS 8174 3888 and SS 8170 3888. Most of these still appear to be extant, although those at SS 8176 3893 and SS 8174 3888 appear to have been extended to the east (they may, however, have been knocked down and rebuilt on a larger scale; the first before the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed and the latter at some stage in the 20th Century). Also, the small square building at SS 8170 3888 appears to have been demolished at some point after the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. Since this latter map was surveyed, several larger buildings have been added around the edge of the farmstead. The Tithe Map Apportionment lists the owners and occupiers of the site as Samuel Martin Moore and James Moore. [1-4] The site was viewed from a distance in February 1997. The house was noted to be long and thought to be 19th Century in date. To one side, three ranges of 19th Century rubble buildings were noted to make a yard against it, with a separate converted and reroofed long range further to the east. Two modern sheds were also seen, behind the house and just to the east. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 726.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 222.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8173 3889 (126m by 98m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 222
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.