MMO287 - Possible post-medieval mining remains north of Tattiscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
At SS 6304 4659 is a circular depression 5.6 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres deep, which may be the infilled remains of a shaft. At SS 6306 4659 is an irregular mound 1.8 metres high (maximum) which represents a spoil heap. It is the strongest argument for the depression being interpreted as a shaft. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [1-3] Both the circular depression and associated spoil heap are visible on aerial photographs to the north of Tattiscombe. An adit located to the south at Tattiscombe could be part of this mining activity (MDE20883). The shaft, spoil heap and adit are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map [4-6] The features are depicted within an area where it has been suggested the earthwork remains of an early deserted farmstead can be seen on aerial photographs (see MDE20528). It is not clear whether some of the earthworks noted as part of the farmstead actually relate to these mining remains. More investigation is required. 
- <1> SMO4805 Survey: Tattiscombe/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <2> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 July 1993.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 161 (15 April 1972).
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6>XY SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171. [Mapped feature: #33286 ]
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 23 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6305 4660 (31m by 14m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872226 (Pastscape entry: 872226)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60607
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/41/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21673
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE8984
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW19
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872226
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 9:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.