MDE8997 - Medieval and post-medieval earthworks east of Girt Down Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
Low banks forming an irregular group of small enclosures or building remains, and possibly a deserted farm site, were noted on aerial photographs dating from 1946 and 1978. [1-4] SS 6041 4717. The field cited contains substantial earthworks. These appear to represent a combination of natural and artificial agencies. The field lies at the head of a shallow east facing combe which leads down into Sherrycombe and thence to the sea; as such it forms a natural watershed. The majority of the earthworks appear to represent natural surface gulleys resulting from surface run off. The stream bed, runing east to west across the centre of the field, has been deepened perhaps by its use as a track (in the field to the west a terraced way approaches the site). No evidence for the farmstead mentioned by  could be found; in several places slight platforming on the hillside is the product of a combination of the above factors. Several linear features - banks and lynchets - were noted, which appear to be removed field boundaries.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655.3179 (July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/2656 (June 1978).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. DAP/HX 8-9 (30 January 1987).
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6047A.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 872632, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6033 4709 (140m by 153m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872632 (Pastscape entry: 872632)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NW/17
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NW/18
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17900
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20514
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW28
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 872632
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 3:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.