MDE20883 - Post-medieval adit north of Tattiscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Unnamed mine. Adit north of Tattiscombe Farm. Mineral or date unknown.  Appears to have been on Combmartin Consols Sett (see MDE20884) but not mentioned in reports.  Centred at SS 63068 46534. An adit lying on the eastern bank of an unnamed stream to the northeast of Tattiscombe farmhouse. The adit itself is well preserved and water is still running, although the farmer suggests that there is some 0.5 metres depth of silt in the bottom. The adit is at the level of the existing stream, and issues into it obliquely from the north-north-east. Its mouth is cut out of the natural rock and is arched with a width at water level of 1.0 metre and a height (to water level) of 0.6 metres. The adit can be seen (by torchlight) for at least 10 metres, although local information suggests that it goes considerably further. It is now too silted to be practically accessible. The bearing of the tunnel at its mouth is 004 degrees. Surveyed at 1/2500. 
- <1> SEM7984 Article in serial: Claughton, P.F.. 1973. The Metalliferous Mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1. 6.
- <2> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 July 1993. [Mapped feature: #46043 ]
|Grid reference||SS 6306 4653 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=859428 (Pastscape entry: 859428)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19510
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/41
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE8964
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW18
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 859428
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 9:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.