MMO2800 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A trackway of probable medieval or post medieval date is visible as a series of earthworks running north-south across Castle Common, Brayford. Beginning at approximately SS 7144 3915, the trak is visible as a series of interweacing ruts and sunken hollows running north south for nearly 400 metres, before fading from view at approximately SS 7143 3955. The track strongly resembles the "ancient trackway" or pack horse road visible around the edge of Roosthitchen to the east, which linked Lynton and South Molton. It may well be part of this same routeway, or a smaller "link road" connecting the nearby smaller trackways with the main route. Unlike the large routes connecting Lynton and South Molton, and Barnstaple and Porlock however, this trackway is not depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, or the 1816 map of Exmoor around the time of enclosure. This suggests that the trackway was not a primary route, or that it was out of use and replaced prior to the publication of either map. A number of similar small tracks are visible in the area, which possibly connected with each other at some point. To the south, several are visible around Henthitchen and Mole's Chamber, while to the west a track is visible leading towards Shoulsbarrow Castle along Castle Cleave Combe. It is possible that this area represents a former important "crossing place" on the edge of Exmoor Royal Forest (1-4).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4104-06 19-MAY-1947.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3444-46 11-APR-1947.
- --- SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Map "Exmoor Forest at the time of Inclosure 1816" reproduced in Orwin, C.S. 1929 "The Reclamation of.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484833 (Pastscape entry: 1484833)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484833
Record last edited
Oct 28 2009 11:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.