MMO2799 - Medieval or post-medieval trackway northeast of Henthitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A trackway of probable medieval or post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks northeast of Henthitchen, Brayford. Beginning at approximately SS 7180 3899 the trackway is visible as a number of interweaving sunken ruts and hollows, running approximately east to west before fading from view at SS 7135 3909. The track strongly resembles the "ancient trackways" previously recorded in this area around Mole's Chamber and Roosthitchen, which linked Lynton and South Molton, and Porlock and Barnstaple. This trackway may well have been a part of either route, or a separate link road to one or both. An 1816 map of Exmoor forest around the time of enclosure shows a bridle way route to Barnstaple running along this approximate course, but this is believed to lie further east past Mole's Chamber. Additional similar trackways can be seen in the immediate area; to the west at Castle Cleave Combe, and to the north at Castle Common. Unlike the Lynton to South Molton route and the Barnstaple to Porlock route however, these trackways are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, indicating they were out of use or replaced prior to this date. [1-4] No routeways are depicted in this location on the Tithe Map for High Bray.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4104-06 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. Map, facing p20.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #43210 ]
- <5> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1484829, Extant 18 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7155 3904 (519m by 141m) Record had also been assigned mapping for MMO2800 in error|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484829 (Pastscape entry: 1484829)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW139
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1484829
Record last edited
Oct 18 2021 5:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.