MMO2798 - Medieval or post-medieval trackway south of Castle Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Irregular linear depressions indicate the former course of a trackway, which shows well on aerial photographs taken in 1947 and 1977. [1-3] A trackway of probable medieval or post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks south of Castle Common, Brayford. Beginning at approximately SS 7077 3865 and continuing as far as SS 7124 3907 where it fades from view, the trackway is visible as a series of interweaving ruts and hollows. It runs approximately east to west, roughly along the same route as the Porlock to Banstaple bridleway (see MMO307) shown on the 1816 map of Exmoor reproduced in Orwin. The modern road past Shoulsbarrow Castle cuts through the trackway, indicating the trackway is substantially earlier in date. The trackway strongly resembles the "ancient trackways" recorded around the edge of the former Royal Forest of Exmoor, several of which can be seen in the vicinity (see MMO505 and MMO307) and may in fact be a connecting road from Bratton Fleming, or part of one of the trackways previously recorded, such as the Porlock to Barnstaple route. However, it is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, as many of the routes are, indicating it had been replaced or removed some time prior to this date. [4-7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3444 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/051 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7138d.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 180-81 (27 April 1964).
- <5> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. Map, facing p20.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <7>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #43202 ]
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1484779, Extant 1 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7101 3886 (476m by 436m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484779 (Pastscape entry: 1484779)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17830
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/554
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20444
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW138
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1484779
Record last edited
Dec 1 2021 11:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.