MMO2662 - 19th Century water meadow south and west of Elseworthy Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A water meadow of probable 19th Century date is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on combe slopes to the south and west of Elseworthy Farm, centred on circa SS 9304 4150. The gutters can be seen extending westwards along both the north and south facing slopes of a narrow combe, from which the majority of the gutters are probably fed with water, for approximately one kilometre. To the west of this area, at circa SS 9353 4177, a small section of the system may be supplied by a spring to the south of Fairgarden Farm, and may in fact belong to that holding. In this same area, the presence of gutters at circa SS 9366 4189 is inferred from a visible flush of water, although the gutters are not visible on the aerial photographs. This is a type of water meadow known as catchwork or field gutter system, commonly found on combe or hill slopes and designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream. The water is carried along the valley sides via one or more channels or gutters and when irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow, from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of March and April. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3228-3230 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-29.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32469 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9321 4164 (1011m by 527m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482480 (Original Monarch entry: 1482480)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW125
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482480
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 9:26AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.