MSO6299 - 19th Century water meadow east of Fairgarden Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A water meadow of probable 19th century date, of a type known as a catchwork or field gutter system, is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the east of Fairgarden Farm, Wootton Courtenay parish, with which it is probably associated. The gutters are probably fed by a spring to the south of the farm, at circa SS 933 421, and drain into a tributary to the Avill, via a system of probably post-medieval herringbone pattern drains visible as cropmarks to the northeast. The system is only fragmentarily visible but can be seen to cover an area of approximately 4 hectares centred on circa SS 9335 4221, not as mislocated in P. Francis' dissertation of 1984, SS 933 436 some 1.4 kilometres to the north. The water meadow is of a type known as a catchwork or field gutter system found on combe or hill slopes and designed to irrigate pasture usually by diverting water from a spring or stream along the valley sides via one or more channels or gutters. When irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of March and April. [1-5]
- <1> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset. 38.
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20)4178 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3199-200 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <5>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #39976 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 934 423 (376m by 401m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1086680 (Original Monarch entry: 1086680)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO541
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11926
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW68
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086680
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34506
Record last edited
Jul 29 2020 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.