MMO2421 - Possible medieval or post-medieval field system above Allcombe Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Field boundary banks and erosion gullies defining a field system of possible medieval date or post-medieval are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1960s onwards, centred on circa SS 8304 4113 on the west facing slopes above Allcombe Water. The field system is subdivided by short boundaries that climb the combe sides at roughly at 90 degrees to the river, visible as earthwork banks or gullies probably created by the erosion of former boundary banks. The system is enclosed on the eastern side by a lateral bank which gently ascends south to north from 360 to 370 metre Ordnance Datum. In total, the boundaries enclose over six hectares of the valley side but may be part of a larger system of enclosure, associated a smaller field boundary on the northeast facing slopes to the north of Allcombe Water. The earthworks also enclose a length of track or hollow way which appears to lead towards the smaller enclosure. It is unclear if a further linear earthwork, some 70 metres to the east, is contemporary with the combe side field system or later enclosure. The northern half of the field system has been levelled, probably by modern agricultural activity, by 1973. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 973-4 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0161-2 (27 April 1964).
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32603 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477391, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8298 4103 (210m by 632m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Medieval or post-medieval field boundary or enclosure bank northeast of Allcombe Water (Monument) (MMO2420)
- Related to: Medieval or post-medieval track or hollow way west of Allcombe Water (Monument) (MMO2422)
- Related to: Possible medieval or post-medieval field boundaries north of Allcombe Water (Monument) (MMO2424)
- Related to: Prehistoric or medieval field boundary southwest of Greenlands Farm (Monument) (MMO2432)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477391 (Pastscape entry: 1477391)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW194
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477391
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 4:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.