MMO2422 - Medieval or post-medieval track or hollow way west of Allcombe Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A length of track or hollow way circa 230 metres long, of possible medieval or post-medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, on the west facing slope of Allcombe Water, centred on circa SS 8295 4091. The route is visible within an area of medieval or post-medieval enclosure which may have preserved this portion of the route as an earthwork. The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 shows the track continuing to north for circa 1.2 kilometres towards Almsworthy Common and southwards for circa 150 metres to Allcombe Water. It may be the remains of a livestock track associated with a small enclosure on the southern bank of the river, or packhorse route, both potentially utilising a former ford in the combe, now obscured by modern ponds. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0161-2 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32602 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477405, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8298 4090 (58m by 223m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
- Related to: Medieval or post-medieval field boundary or enclosure bank northeast of Allcombe Water (Monument) (MMO2420)
- Related to: Medieval or post-medieval hollow way or track at Wellshead Allotment (Monument) (MMO2450)
- Related to: Possible medieval or post-medieval field system above Allcombe Water (Monument) (MMO2421)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477405 (Pastscape entry: 1477405)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW195
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477405
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 4:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.