MMO2250 - Possible prehistoric or Roman field boundaries on Codsend Moors (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Broad linear but irregularly shaped earthworks visible on aerial photographs at circa SS 8839 4095, on the northern edge of Codsend Moors, Cutcombe parish, are potentially the remains of field boundaries of later prehistoric or Roman date. The earthworks are orientated roughly 50 to 60 degrees east of north, a similar orientation to more extensive field system remains approximately 900 metres to the southwest on the southern edge of Codsend Moors, with which these earthworks may be contempory and directly associated. [1-2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8840/10 (18256/11) (11 February 1999).
- <2> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1473010, Extant 16 March 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8843 4092 (266m by 199m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Part of: Prehistoric settlement and field system at Codsend Moor (Monument) (MSO9193)
- Related to: Multi-phased field system on Codsend Moor (Monument) (MSO9202)
- Related to: Possible prehistoric bank on Codsend Moor (Monument) (MMO2246)
- Related to: Prehistoric field system and settlement in Mansley Combe (Monument) (MSO9256)
- Related to: Prehistoric or Roman bank on Codsend Moors (Monument) (MMO2247)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473010 (Original Monarch entry: 1473010)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE128
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1473010
Record last edited
Mar 16 2022 4:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.