MMO2247 - Prehistoric or Roman bank on Codsend Moors (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A short length of bank of uncertain but possibly prehistoric or Roman date, is visible on aerial photographs of Codsend Moors, Cutcombe parish. In total the bank is circa 32 metres in length, centred on circa SS 8804 4057. The earthwork is aligned eastnortheast or approximately 70 degrees from north, on a similar orientation to more extensive areas of potentially prehistoric field boundaries to the north and south, and may be part of the same wider field system across Codsend Moors. [1,2] The possible prehistoric or Roman bank described above in  is visible as an earthwork under snow on aerial photographs of February 2012. The photographs show an extension to the bank, turning to the southeast, giving it a chevron shape. This feature was recorded from EH Reconnaissance aerial photographs of 2012.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 963-4 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
- <3> SEM8160 Aerial photograph: Graty, D.J.. 2012. Oblique aerial photographs of selected sites across Exmoor National Park. 27418_019.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1472863, Updated 16 March 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8804 4057 (33m by 19m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1472863 (Original Monarch entry: 1472863)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE125
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1472863
Record last edited
Mar 16 2022 4:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.