MEM24922 - Post-medieval road north of Holnicote House and Estate Yard (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A routeway that joined "The Cottage" (MEM23875) to the main road (MEM24922). It began at SS 9100 4631 and ended on the northern side of Higher Lodge (MSO10731), the Gate Lodge for the routeway, at SS 9127 4630.  The western end of the routeway begins slightly to the north of its original location, at SS 9100 4633, by the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. This is because The Cottage had been replaced by the current Holnicote House (MEM22093).  The road is still shown following the route depicted on the 1st Edition map on the 2nd Edition map, and on the 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force. [3,4] It appears the A39 was straightered at some point during the 20th Century. The new road now cuts straigh across from West Lodge to New Lodge, resulting in the destruction of the eastern end of this routeway. 
- <1> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #47008 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9113 4631 (278m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Feb 9 2021 2:28PM