MSO10731 - Higher Lodge, Buddle Hill, Holnicote (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Lodge to Holnicote House. Early 19th Century in date. Red sandstone random rubble, hipped thatched roofs, central moulded stone stack set diagonally. Cruciform in plan, rear elevation (east) jettied out on timber piers with weatherboarded infill. Picturesque style. One and a half storeys.  "Lodge" printed on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.  Shown but not named on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map.  A detached 19th century cottage with 18th Century style fittings. The house was probably the first of five lodges built for holnicote house. This is a single storey T plan building with a 2 storey rear extention. The building is uncoured rubble with a thatch roof. The report contains a selection of historic mapping showing the lodge.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Higher Lodge is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM7603 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1928-1938. 6 Inch Map: 1928-1938, 3rd Edition. 1:10560. 34NE.
- <3> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000.
- <4> SEM7822 Report: National Trust. 1995. Venacular Building Survey: Higher Lodge, Budleigh Hill.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39020 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9127 4629 (11m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/26/98
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12182
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31227
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35158
Record last edited
Feb 9 2021 2:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.