MEM24921 - Post-medieval road north of Holnicote House and Estate Yard (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The main through road north of Holnicote House originally ran directly from West Lodge at SS 9094 4647 to join the Selworthy turn off at SS 9123 4634. It then ran through the centre of the buildings at Budleigh Hill (then Buddle Hill), turning southeast at SS91304622. This route is shown on the Tithe Map for Selworthy and the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2,3] The road is still shown following its original route on the 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force.  It appears the A39 was straightered at some point during the 20th Century. The road now cuts straigh across from West Lodge to New Lodge. 
- <1> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #47007 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9111 4634 (376m by 269m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Feb 9 2021 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.