MEM24742 - All Saints Churchyard, Wootton Courtenay (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The earliest work in the church is of the 13th Century.  In 1791 Collinson said "There are fragments of an old stone cross in the churchyard, and a fine yew tree with a beautiful spread of branches". Both were extant in 1974 and the tree was suggested to be 600 years old.  Graveyard in use since at least medieval times.  Savage in 1830 writes that "the church-yard is kept in excellent order." 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 77 (1931), 75-77.
- <2> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 92.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 10 December 1976.
- <4> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton. 337.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9382 4342 (42m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: 15th Century churchyard cross in All Saints Churchyard (Building) (MSO6253)
- Parent of: 17th Century gravestone in All Saints Churchyard (Monument) (MSO10630)
- Parent of: Post-medieval yew tree in All Saints' Churchyard, Wootton Courtenay (Tree) (MEM24743)
- Part of: All Saints Church, Wootton Courtenay (Building) (MSO12159)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/6/120
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601489
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO12159
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10628
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6254
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36993
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31107
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35062
Record last edited
Sep 3 2019 1:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.