MEM23988 - 19th Century stone bridge at Exford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The current Exford Bridge was rebuilt in 1930 on a medieval site.  The previous bridge is shown in a photograph taken in c.1895. It was built of random rubble in a similar style to the current one.  The bridge is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  It is not clear whether any of the fabric of this bridge is included in the present structure (MSO10639).  A timber structure was crossed by Leland in 1543 (MEM24735).  A note by Hamilton states the previous bridge in the 19th Century was a "narrow little stone one with a low parapet".  The Tithe Map for Exford  shows that the bridge crossing of the Exe River at that time was further east (upstream, at SS 8522 3836), near the original ford. The 19th Century bridge was built in its present location between the surveying of this map and c.1889 - 1890, when the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map  was produced. It is therefore uncertain that the 19th Century bridge is sited in the location of the medieval bridge, unless it had already been moved once prior to c.1840. [3, 7-8]
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 52.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 20 February 2018.
- <5> SEM8680 Monograph: Lauder, R.A.. 1993. Exmoor travellers. Alan Sutton Publishing Limited. 1st Edition. 2.
- <6> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 27.
- <6> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton. 538.
- <7> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 20 August 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 8525 3835 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Aug 20 2019 4:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.