MSO10639 - Exford Bridge (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Road bridge over River Exe. Rebuilt 1930 on medieval site. Local stone random rubble facing T-beam, saddleback coping. Three arch span, semi-circular headed arches with 2 cutwater buttresses on each side.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265419. First Listed on 6 April 1959.  Reinforced concrete slab bridge built in 1930 and designed by Edward Stead, County Surveyor. Bridge has no stringcourse and vertically curved coping. The bridge is 14 feet in span.  Stone, Random rubble walls.  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Exford Bridge was widened in 1930. A photograph taken during the works by Somerset County Council shows that the road is carried by three spans of flat concrete beam and slab pieces, on stone piers. The ends were then faced with masonry, shaped to the original arch profiles.  The Tithe Map for Exford  shows that the bridge crossing of the Exe River at that time was further east (upstream, at SS 8522 3836), near the original ford. The bridge was moved to its present location between the surveying of this map and c.1889 - 1890, when the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map  was produced. It is therefore uncertain that the modern bridge is sited in the location of the medieval bridge. [7-9]
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1209 Monograph: Greenfield, D.. 1998. Somerset's Early Reinforced Concrete Bridges.
- <4> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. p30, Volume 28 (1987), "Some Exmoor Bridges", 26-30, (D Greenfield).
- <7> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <8> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8525 3835 (24m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/13/6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31125
Record last edited
Dec 11 2020 2:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.