MEM23241 - Crangs Heasleigh Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for North Molton. At this stage, it consisted of the farmhouse (MDE21375) with two L shaped buildings sited at SS 7343 3242 and SS 7346 3243. By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been published, the building at SS 7343 3242 had been demolished and the remaining L shaped building subsumed into a larger group of farm buildings forming a yard at c. SS 7347 3241. The building to the south of the yard, at SS 7348 3240, appears to have a horse engine house attached to the eastern end of its southern gable and may be a barn. The 'horse engine house' is also shown on the 2nd Edition map but has since been demolished, although the remaining buildings appear to still be extant. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The farm buildings were said to be an important, extensive and complicated group of buildings with a late 19th Century appearance, in an irregular arrangement. They are built of stone rubble with brick openings, with some roofs in slate but some with asbestos and tin, and thought to have been constructed around 1900 or remodelled at that time.  A Youth Hostel was opened at Crangs Heasley on 1 April 1949, replacing West Yarde and Simonsbath. It closed on 30 September 1951 (or later) as Mrs Yendell was expected to leave the farm before Christmas. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 178.
- <6> SEM8572 Unpublished document: Martin, J.. 2018. Youth Hostels Association (England and Wales): Historical listing of all youth hostels and other YHA accommodation. 211.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7345 3242 (77m by 70m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 178
Record last edited
Apr 15 2019 4:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.