MSO10644 - Gallon House, Exmoor (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Shown on OS map as Red Deer Farm. Farmhouse. Mid C19. Roughcast over rubble, bitumen covered hipped slate roof, roughcast stacks rising from eaves. Double pile. Two storeys, 3 bays; 12-pane sash windows, central gabled porch, semi-circular headed opening, plank door; 2-storey, one bay lean-to roofed wings on either side, 6-pane sash window first floor left, right ground floor 2-light casement, entered on returns. This farmhouse was built by the Knight family.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265424. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  Double pile plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Hipped roof  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the property as Red Deer House.  The 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map labels the site as Red Deer Farm.  The modern MasterMap data shows the property as being named Gallon House.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  SS 810 393. Red Deer Farm, Simonsbath, Minehead, Somerset. Opened between August and September 1946 as a small primitive self catering only farm hostel by the Youth Hostel Association. It closed permanently on 31 October 1948, replaced by Crangs Heasleigh, which received equipment from Simonsbath.  At Red Deer, John Knight had purchased an 'Allotment, Dwelling House and Premesis' in February 1841. In the June 1841 census return, it was referred to as Gallon House (an inn), with Richard Bromham as publican. The Red Deer had given up its licence through lack of trade by 1883.  Frederick Knight held his half yearly Rent Audit for the Exmoor and Brendon Estates at the Red Deer Inn (now Gallon House) on the Exford Road.  The "Red Deer" is one of three inns opened on the outskirts of the free suitors' allotments in the southeastern portion of the moor. It is better known as Gallon House, having long ceased to be an inn. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <8> SEM8572 Unpublished document: Martin, J.. 2018. Youth Hostels Association (England and Wales): Historical listing of all youth hostels and other YHA accommodation. 414-5.
- <9> SSO1774 Monograph: Orwin, C.S. + Sellick, R.J.. 1970. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. David and Charles Limited. 2nd Edition. 234.
- <10> SEM7519 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1994. Simonsbath: The Inside Story of an Exmoor Village. Roger A. Burton. 52, 126.
- <11> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. 436.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8106 3936 (23m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/12/11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31130
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 4:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.