MDE21375 - Crangs Heasleigh Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Shown on O.S. map as Little Heasley. Farmhouse and adjoining former granary. Early to mid 17th Century with probably early to mid 18th Century alterations. Refaced in 1791, said to be dated but not noted at time of survey (September 1987). Mid to late 19th Century alterations and additions including granary. Minor mid - to late 20th Century alterations including the conversion of the granary to domestic accommodation. Late 18th Century sandstone ashlar facing to front at left, with alternating wide and narrow courses (wide courses at voussoir level). Rendered to sides and rear. 19th Century uncoursed stone rubble additions. Gable-ended scantle-slate roof, with catslide over 2 storey outshut at centre to rear. 17th Century square stone axial ridge stack with top stage rebuilt in 19th Century red brick, and 19th Century red brick stack behind ridge to left. Plan and development: Probably 17th Century three-room plan. House to left, consisting of hall with cross passage and former service room to right (present parlour) and former inner room to left. Probably 19th Century two-roomed addition to right with former granary above right-hand end, converted to domestic accommodation in the 20th Century. Two-storey outshut to centre at rear with one-storey lean to additions at each end, that to rear of left-hand end with dairy and returning to gable end. Lean-to additions and outshut probably mid to late 19th Century additions. Two storeys, with some one-storey lean- to additions. Exterior: Left-hand 17th Century range with not quite symmetrical late 18th Century four-bay front; 20th Century two-and 3-light wooden casements in old openings with stone flat-arched heads (some small voussoirs inscribed in imitation on larger stones) and 20th Century concrete cills. Arches over first-floor windows replaced with 20th Century concrete lintels (except for right-hand one). Second ground-floor 18th Century window from left with wrought-iron band beneath arch. Apparently inserted small window between 2 ground-floor left-hand windows with 20th Century two-light wooden casement and 20th Century concrete lintel (possibly former fire window). Late 19th Century half-glazed door in second bay from right (2 upper glazed panels and 3 side-beaded flush panels) with stone flat-arched head. Later addition to right with first-floor 20th Century three-light wooden casement to right, mid 20th Century two-light wooden casement to right, inserted ground-floor late 20th Century one-light wooden casement to left and 20th Century three-light wooden casement to right, all with wooden lintels. Late 20th Century half-glazed door to left with wooden lintel. Straight joint to left of right-hand ground-floor window (possible evidence of former wider ground-floor opening). 20th Century half-glazed loft door to right-hand gable end approached by flight of external stone steps. Interior: Right-hand ground-floor room with 17th Century chamfered spine beam. 17th Century open fireplace to right with stone jambs and chamfered wooden lintel with runout stops. 18th Century cupboard in left-hand wall with 2 raised and fielded panels and moulded architrave, and 19th Century matchboarding. Mid 19th Century staircase in passage with rectangular- section stick balusters and turned newel post. Central ground-floor room with 19th Century segmental-arched recesses flanking fireplace. Late 17th Century or early 18th Century chamfered spine beam in left-hand ground-floor room with runout stops, and adzed to take plaster. Fine early to mid 18th Century cupboard in left-hand rear corner consisting of 2 doors, each with 3 raised and fielded panels, round-arched head, raised spandrels and moulded cornice. Drawer below and smaller cupboard at bottom with raised and fielded panels. Three shelves inside top cupboard with multiple ogee-shaped fronts. Mainly 19th Century four- panelled doors throughout. Passage to rear of first-floor rooms. Roof-space not inspected.  The farmhouse was viewed in January 1997. It was noted to be long shaped and "pleasant" and thought to date from at least the 17th Century, but remodelled in the late 19th Century.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: North Molton (24 November 1988) 125.
- <2> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 178.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7344 3244 (33m by 16m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/10/154/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/10/154/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41792
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/81
Record last edited
Feb 17 2021 12:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.