MEM22116 - Higher Thorne and Cottages (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- FARMHOUSE (AD 18th Century to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD (Possible))
- BANK BARN (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1840 AD? to 2050 AD (Possible))
- POND (AD 19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1889 AD? (Possible))
- ENCLOSURE (AD 19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1889 AD? (Possible))
- ENCLOSURE (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Possible))
- None recorded
The site includes the main house, which has an earlier thatched wing, and a pair of cottages, lately used either as holiday accommodation or accommodation for estate workers. A building can be seen on the Tithe Map of 1840 which corresponds to the older eastern side of the main house. The first evidence of the cottages can be seen on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1903. The building in which they are sited appears to have been constructed in the late 19th or early 20th Century, originally for agricultural use before being converted in the early 20th Century. Both the cottages and the main building were extensively refurbished in the 1950s, with a substantial new wing being added to the main house. The Tithe Map also depicts a pond to the south of the house and several small enclosures around the site, some of which appear to have partially survived to the present day. [1-4]
- <1> SEM7888 Report: Parker, R.W.. 2012. Archaeological building survey of cottages at Higher Thorne, Exford, Somerset.
- <2> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8424 3845 (131m by 101m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521864 (Pastscape entry: 521864)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6742
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW57
- NBR Index Number: 41963
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 521864
Record last edited
May 21 2018 2:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.