MDE21778 - Post-medieval trackways northwest of Ranscombe Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A track is shown on the 19th Century Tithe Map running north from Ranscombe combe. No track is visible, although rough vegetation may indicate ground disturbance.  The Tithe Map for Martinhoe shows a routeway commencing at c. SS 6841 4588. It heads northeast and forks at c. SS 6853 4616, with the western branch heading to cross the A39 road to the north at SS 6847 4639. The eastern branch skirts the western side of Ranscombe Combe, before joining the A39 at c. SS 6862 4645. A small track leads from the river at SS 68684623 to join the trackway at SS 6858 4631. By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the routeway had been partially diverted. The route now headed north from SS 6841 4588 and forked at SS 6845 4607. The western way headed towards where the more recently constructed Woolhanger Road (MDE21735) reaches Martinhoe Cross, joining it at SS 6851 4638 (it has since been moved slightly to the south, apparently when the Lynton to Barnstaple Railway Line, MMO42, was constructed). The eastern route crossed Woolhanger Road at c. SS 6856 4628, continuing northeast to again joing the A39 at c. SS 6862 4645 (it may have joined and overlain the eastern branch of the routeway shown on the Tithe Map). A final path is shown leaving Woolhanger Road at SS 6851 4637, heading east to the northern end of Ranscombe Combe at SS 6867 4636 before heading north to join the A39 at the Parish Boundary. The northern section of this path, and the eastern route have both since been removed, likely due to the construction of the railway line (MMO42). [3-5]
- <1> SDE323788 Report: Nicholas Pearson Associates. 2000. Lynton Water Supply: Environmental report. p68, Site 53.
- <2>XY SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped features: #46736 ; #46737 ; #46738 ]
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped features: #46733 ; #46734 ; #46735 ]
- <4> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 October 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6855 4617 (273m by 600m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 64593
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/160
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 3:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.