MDE21737 - Linton Road, Parracombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Road recorded as 'Linton Road, no.21' on 1862 Parracombe Down Enclosure Award and map. Described as a 'public carriage road to be set out from SS 6831 4526 to SS 6846 4607. Original width marked out as 20 feet. [1,2] Visible as road on 1:10560 (1963) os map.  The routeway is not visible on the Parracombe Tithe Map.  The road is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The road is also shown on 2020 MasterMap data.  The road may be contemporary with the routeway shown on the 1st Edition map  heading north from SS 6846 4607 recorded as part of MDE21778. It is not, however, clear if it formalised a preexisting route not shown on the Parracombe Tithe Map  but indicated by a routeway meeting it at this point shown on the Martinhoe Tithe Map, also recorded under MDE21778 . 
- <1> SEM7970 Unpublished document: 1862. Parracombe Down Enclosure Award.
- <2> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays. Parracombe Down.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #46742 ]
- <7> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 October 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6837 4567 (149m by 806m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62120
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/137
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 3:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.